I am sure you will all be aware that the Red House Children’s Book Award is in full flow now.
Here is the 2012 shortlist:
* Rollo and Ruff and the Little Fluffy Bird by Mick Inkpen
* Don’t Worry Douglas by David Melling
* Peely Wally by Kali Stileman* Scruffy Bear and the Six White Mice by Chris Wormell
* One Dog and His Boy by Eva Ibbotson (see my review here)
* Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis
* The Brilliant World of Tom Gates by Liz Pichon
* A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (see my review here)
* My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher (see my review here)
* Grace by Morris Gleitzman
This is such a special award because it is the ONLY award voted entirely by children. The shortlist is drawn by children’s book groups, which are members of the Federation of Children’s Book Groups, across the country. Once the shortlist is drawn, the Top Ten voting is open to all and I urge you to get involved. All books are available for sale from Red House, and each category, as a bundle of books, will make a fantastic Christmas present. You know you are getting tried and tested quality books here, books that children have enjoyed!
Once children have read the books, they can vote using the official website. Check out the resources page for some ideas of activities around the books.
This is a fantastic opportunity for children to get involved in voting for a book award and have their vote count. It is easy to get involved at home, even if your children’s school is not getting involved (although it is not too late if they want to!).
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any queries, I would be more than happy to help out!
I will soon be running a very exciting competition linked to the awards so stay tuned!